Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Snapshot

Well let me put it all into perspective for new readers...
I came to my small part of Poland in late January and I have been teaching since then. I work for a nice couple, husband and wife in a small school in northern Poland. The private school is quite busy considering the size. there are 20 Polish teachers teaching English and German, I am one of 2 native speaking teachers that lives nearby. The other is an eccentric Englishman, a retired grammar school teacher and I like him but rarely see him. I was hired by the school because they won a EU project contract. This contract means that 90 plus people can learn English twice a week at varying levels and have it all taught for free. There is no shortage of students, all are between 20 and 50 and keen to learn... most of the time. I have Business and General English classes and I share each class with a co teacher - a polish teacher. So the students can ask questions freely and be taught Grammar more easily than from me that native speaker. My role is to teach and engage their language skills and teach more as well as pronunciation and common usage of English and slang and phrases.
I have about 7 classes in this project and various other in company classes with students paid for by their company's.
I live in a huge 2 bedroom flat alone above a very noisy cafe and on the main road into town. it is quite noisy but I have gotten used to the sirens the ambulances and the huge lorries that go through the sleeping town.
There are about 30,000 residents and a few smaller villages outside the town limits.
I know a lot of people, or should I say that everybody knows me. It is quite ridiculous. Everybody in town knows me and it is difficult to go anywhere or do anything without people telling friends and my students where and when they saw me and with whom... Quite frustrating to be in the public eye.
What else can I tell you? I can't really speak Polish yet but I understand a lot. By the grace and kindness of my boss he has helped me gain residence in Poland for at least another year. Really not in my plan. I actually want to be living in Germany next year and doing a business degree via the Internet. You never know what will happen. Likely I will move to Krakow and live there for 6 months after this contract and then apply like crazy for jobs in Germany or Italy. and if that fails - take a job in Vietnam or Cambodia or China...
Well that is me. 37 and feeling every bit one century older.
Obi - starting again...
<BGSOUND SRC="http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/sounds/farting.mp3" LOOP=0> <BGSOUND SRC="http://stormii.com/Wavs/3yrsold.vav" LOOP=0> <BGSOUND SRC="http://www.ibiblio.org/samneill/sounds/reilly/7-Gambit/moscow.vav" LOOP=0>
I - Obi...