Thursday, June 05, 2008

What's new?

Hello all,
I just wanted to write a quick note to say that all is well... I mean weeeell... Let me explain.
I am using my own car to work and just I get paid a little for the time it takes to get there but not the petrol, it is okay i trade off the confusion and ceaseless conversations about ‘who’ can have what company car etc. Save so many green house gasses this way...
The problem is I keep getting parking tickets. No biggy, they aren’t much but it is a pain in the ass when I have to pay them at the post office. I have 5 so far...
Good and Bad students
Sure, like any teacher I have the good and the bad students. I have a sweet sweet girl that looks like a super model in a one to one intensive exam prep class. She is so nice and keen to learn the material. I just want to help her as much as I can, money is not a consideration.
I have bad students, like the snobby finger waggler that comes to class when he feels like it, and if he does cancel within 12 hours I don’t get paid, now this is okay if the class is in the middle of the day but it is at the end, so I have to wait around and so as it stands, 70% of the time I don't get paid for this class. It wouldn't be so bad but he is really intense and creepy, the teachers that have had him before me have all said similar. But I am the last monkey and so I am stuck with him. I am trying to arrange a new class over the top of him so he cancels out. We will see...
The way this school works is my boss arranges the new classes and talks to the new clients initially. I asked him and I discovered that he never suggest a time that a student or new class could come - (to fill in existing holes in a teachers schedule) he just says any time is good and he allots the class to whoever, whether they are business teachers or not or whether they have classes spread eagle across a day, I have ne day when I start at 7.30am - one class and another at noon and a final class at 7.10pm. So what the hell do I do with my day? I hate the place I am living now, the long term hotel, so I don't go home when I can help it.
I have had my car side mirror broken twice because I still have Polish plates. Germans hate Poles and vice versa, and since I have come under attack so to speak I am inclined to agree with the Poles.
What else?
Hmm - I seem to be cracking under the strain a little. I am working 15 hours a day or at work at least, but nothing else is getting done. Washing is difficult to organise coz I need a few hours at the laundromat and I don't often have enough of a break to do it and take my closes home to hang.
I like the work, I really do and i like being in Germany, I just wish all the other stuff, like registering as a resident in the city was easier and getting a bank account, and getting a gas and electricity and internet accounts... there is just too much to do and I don't have that much time. who knows how long I would wait in line to get these things done, and if you can't guarantee a time, then I can't go... you follow my drift?
This saturday night I am off to the city of Bonn, one of my colleagues is performing in a proper play and so to show support and have a night out, a few of us are going up and seeing the play.

Obi cracking and getting teary.... but looking forward to the play and some reilef at the end of June.

<BGSOUND SRC="http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/sounds/farting.mp3" LOOP=0> <BGSOUND SRC="http://stormii.com/Wavs/3yrsold.vav" LOOP=0> <BGSOUND SRC="http://www.ibiblio.org/samneill/sounds/reilly/7-Gambit/moscow.vav" LOOP=0>
I - Obi...