Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Advising friends

Many an ESL teacher has a serious problem or two, to change your life so radically, there has to be some reason you want to flee your country. Mine was that I had hit the dead end in the career front. I needed to change and quickly.
Advising a friend on such a big career change is not easy. Loneliness and misunderstanding plague our existence. As a career it is much like solitary confinement in some aspects. But the rewards are what you make them... I have seen such things and know so many good people now because of this that I could write a book. It has been a blessing to teach for me, tho as I stated, not without its own demons and pitfalls.
A lot of ESL teachers a raving alcoholics, I have met a few in my time and many a sociopathic wanker to boot. But they are not the norm. They are just the ones that bring us all into suspicion.
I know many a good teacher, that struggles to learn to teach better, to find out how best to keep students educated and happy and interested. I have some inspiring rolemodels. A great man from Essex, the skipper and a true friend, and the stoic Delboy... So I am lucky to have been guided.
Really I think that is the responsibility we have to all new teachers. To help them discipline themselves and guide them through the rough times at the beginning.
I tried so hard with the Oxford Brat but my earnest advice was heard and not listened to, he had other goals and they eventually destroyed him.
So if you are considering becoming a teacher, then I suggest you find one out there and in the field and ask a few serious questions of them, and then later of yourself...
Because there is nothing worse than questioning such a radical life decision after you are 6000km from home in -30c with a huge chunk of contract left...
Obi careful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<BGSOUND SRC="http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/sounds/farting.mp3" LOOP=0> <BGSOUND SRC="http://stormii.com/Wavs/3yrsold.vav" LOOP=0> <BGSOUND SRC="http://www.ibiblio.org/samneill/sounds/reilly/7-Gambit/moscow.vav" LOOP=0>
I - Obi...